This is a simple dish yet it looks like it involves a lot of work, but it really doesn’t !! There is not much preparation needed. You can add more chilli bean paste and liquid if you like stronger flavor or if you want more sauce. You can taste the sauce and adjust the portion of chilli powder and soy sauce as you cook too. This dish is great with rice and tonight I also blanched some gai-lan (chinese broccoli) to go with the dish.
serving : 2-3
- 1-1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 pack medium firm / firm tofu, diced
- 1 – 2 tbsp chili bean paste *
- 1 – 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 – 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 – 2 stalk green onion, chopped
- a few drops sesame oil
- dash of pepper (optional)
- dash of white pepper (optional)
- about 8 fermented black beans** (optional)
- wash and chop green onion
- heat and grease sauce pan, cook the ground beef in high or medium heat till they are almost cooked. set aside, your choice to keep the juice in the pan or discard them.
- use the same pan, cook the chili bean paste in low to medium heat for 30 seconds to a minute. Don’t dry them out too much and don’t burnt them.
- pour about 1/4 cups of water in the sauce pan with the chilli bean paste. add chilli powder in there , use all sorts of different chilli powder if u have them. I used a mix of chinese chilli powder and cayenne pepper, added a dash of black and white pepper. add soy sauce and about 8 fermented black beans too. let the mixture cook in low heat for 7 mins. watch the mixture and don’t let them dry out, this is going to be your sauce.
- add ground beef in the sauce, mix them well.
- add diced tofu in the pan too, cooked for about 3-4 mins and mix well with the ground beef and sauce.
- After you turn off the strove, add the chopped green onion and a few drops of sesame oil and mix well.
- food is ready.
*this is how chilli bean paste look. it doesn’t have to be this brand. they are available in Asian grocery store.