cooking time : about 30 mins
- minced beef x 1.3 lbs
- Asian long green beans x 1.3 lbs
- Thai basil x 4-5 sprigs, Coastly chopped
- onion x 1/3 to 1/2, chopped
- shallot x 1- 2
- tiny red chili pepper x 5, chopped
- fish sauce* x 4-5 tablespoons
- dark soysauce x 2 – 3 tablespoons
- lime x 1
- Finely chop green long beans, shallot, onion and red chilli pepper. Coastly chop Thai basil leaves.
- Grease the pan, slightly brown the ground beef along with 1 tablespoon of soysauce and water. set aside. drain and discard the juice.
- Use the same pan and pan fry the red chilli peppers, shallot and onion until fragrant.
- Add the chopped green long beans. stir.
- Add 3 – 4 tablespoon of fish sauce and 2-3 tbsp of dark soy sauce. Keep stirring as you cook. Add meat.
- Taste the dish after the meat is cooked. I added another 2 tablespoons of soy sauce here. Add the Thai basil as well once the meat is all cooked. Add more fish sauce or soy sauce or sprinkle red pepper powder if it’s needed.
- Sprinkle with lime juice in the end. Mix well.
About this dish:
- This dish is very strong in flavor, it’s probably a 9 or a 10 on a 1 to 10 scale. It is very savory and very spicy. You can scale down on the fish sauce or the red chilli peppers if you prefer mild flavor.
- This dish is great with brown rice.
- You can substitute minced beef with chopped thin slice of beef.
- I used red onion here but you can definitly use white or yellow onion.
- I actually did not use minced beef here. I bought those thin slices of beef you find in Asian grocery store and hand chopped them. Minced beef would probably work better with this recipe.
The Asian ingredients :
For the fish sauce, it actually does make a difference what brand you use. I have used a certain fish sauce before that really didn’t add any flavor to the dish except for making it super salty.
We have received recommendation from our Vietnamese friend (Vietnamese uses a lot of fish sauce in their cooking) and tested it ourself , this is by far one of the best brands we have come across:
and this is how Asian long beans look if you are not sure :
this is how dark soy sauce look, comparing to a regular soy sauce , they are less salty and give the dish a darker color. if you cannot find this soy sauce , you can definitely just use a regular soy sauce.