Hearty Tuscan soup, I made this soup at tonight party and everyone loves it. The lemon juice and zest really added a refreshing twist to it. I normally don’t make soup because it’s a lot of effort and it’s not even an entree, but this soup is so good and hearty it is well worth it. 😌
Servings : 5-6;
Preparation : 20 mins. Cooking time: 1 hr
- Canellini Beans x 14 oz can
- Chickpeas x 14 oz can
- Yellow Onion x 1, diced
- Diced Tomato x 14 oz can
- Carrots x 3, peeled and diced
- Celery x 3-4 stalks, diced
- Garlic x 5-6 cloves, smashed and chopped
- Tomato Paste x 3 – 4 tablespoons
- Chicken Broth x 6 cup (abt 48 oz)
- Lemon x 1/2, juiced and zested
- Kale x 3-4 cups, chopped to bite size
- Butter x 2 teaspoons
- Fresh Thyme x 2 sprigs
- Fresh Rosemary x 1 sprig
- Bay leaves x 2
- Prepare the onion, garlic, carrots and celery.
- Heat up a tall soup pot, heat butter and put in the onion. Stir until they are starting to turn translucent.
- Add carrots, celery, garlic, cook for about 5 mins. Season with salt and pepper. Add rosemary and thyme and cook for a min. Add diced tomato, tomato paste, beans and chicken broth. Cook on low heat for 40 mins and until all carrots are cooked soft. You can shorten the cooking time by putting on higher heat. As long as the carrots are soft and the soup base tastes good, you are fine.
- Put in the kale toward the last 10 mins.
- Taste the soup, adjust with salt and pepper. Add the lemon juice and zest. Stir well and serve.