This spanish style tapas (Espinacas con Garbanzos) definitely gives a twist to the plain boring spinach and chickpeas. You will be surprised how much flavor this vegetarian dish has to offer and how delicious this vegetarian dish can be !
Serving : 1 person ; Cooking time : half hour
- canned chickpeas x half 18 oz can
- spinach x 2/3 of 8 oz bag / 227 gram
- 100% whole grain bread x 1
- raw almonds x 7-8
- garlic cloves x 3 cloves
- red wine vinegar x 1 tablespoon
- ground cumin x 1/2 teaspoon
- cayenne pepper, pinch of them
- spanish smoked paprika (optional)
- *tomato paste x 2 tablespoons
- *garlic x 1 clove, minced
- *red bell pepper x 1 tablespoon, minced
- *herb such as rosemary x 1/2 teaspoon, chopped
- *these ingredients can be replaced by simply tomato sauce x 1/8 cup
- Blanch the almond. Bring a pot of water into boil. Boil almonds in it for exactly 1 minute. Run them under cold water. Get rid of the almond skin.
- Chop 3 cloves of garlic.
- Mince the remaining clove of garlic, red bell pepper and herb if you do not have tomato sauce.
- Cut bread into cubes, discard crust.
- Sauté spinach with olive oil on medium heat until just wilt, do not overcook spinach in this step. You rather leave them undercooked than overcooked. Put them aside.
- Fry bread and almonds in the same pan with olive oil on low heat. Brown the bread and almonds without burning them.
- Add the 3 garlic cloves, cumin, hint of cayenne pepper and pepper for a few minutes, until garlic fragrant.
- Trader the bread mixture to a food processor, add red wine vinegar and blend them. Do not overblend nor add too much vinegar as we do not want a gooey mixture.
- Stir in the bread mixture, chickpeas, tomato paste, minced garlic, minced red bell pepper and herb (or simply tomato sauce if you have it) in your sauce pan on low to medium heat until they blend well. Add drops of water if the mixture is too thick.
- Stir in spinach.
- Taste the dish and season with salt and pepper according to your tast.
- Plate it and drizzle olive oil and sprinkle spanish paprika on top.
- Ready to serve!