Preparation time: 1 hour
Serving : 6-7 servings
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water with vegetable bouillon
- 1 1/4 cups lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1 14 1/2–ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium–high heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, and garlic; sauté until vegetables begin to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add 4 cups broth or water, lentils, and tomatoes with juice and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium–low, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer 2 – 3 cups soup (mostly solids) to blender and puree until smooth.
- Return puree to soup in pan. Season with salt, pepper. Add more water to thin it out to the right consistency if it is too thick.
My notes : One time while I started making the soup, I realized that I was running out of lentils. I had about half cup left, I filled the rest of the cups with a mixture of pinto beans, barley, quinoa and it worked out fine.